upgrade from Fedora Core 2

Amitabha Roy royab at bc.edu
Wed Oct 20 23:03:13 UTC 2004

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>On Wednesday 20 October 2004 23:01, Markku Kolkka wrote:
>

>>>Should it then be relatively easy to continue upgrading to the
>>>Fedora Core 3 final when it comes out?
>>>

>>No, upgrading from test to final isn't supported. You should do a
>>complete re-install.
>>

>It may not be supported, but why shouldn't it work?
>I upgraded from test2 to test3, without problem.

Lets suppose I do the upgrade (from fc3t3)  to FC3 when it comes out.  I
make sure that the version numbers of the packages I have
are such that they are >= version numbers of FC3 (some of them will be
higher probably if I am doing daily updates from rawhide).
Now is that enough to say that I have a pristine FC3 system ?

I think the answer is no. Because there might be features that a clean
process installs that may not happen if I do the upgrade.
Case in point, the default install in FC3t3 enables LVM and partitions
using LVM. When I did the upgrade from FC2 to FC3t3 on my system,
I did not see the option at all. On another machine where I did a clean
install, anaconda used LVM to set up partitions.

Is my understanding of the situation correct ?

In other words, is package compatibility equivalent to clean installs ?

Sorry, if this is a stupid question.

Amitabha