Latest Fedora Core 3 status: kernel testing needed

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 21 01:43:50 UTC 2004

Elliot Lee wrote:

>As of today, almost everything is frozen rock solid for FC3 - the only
>changes that should be going in from this point are fixes for
>showstopper(*) bugs, and kernel bug fixes.
>
>Because a good amount of kernel work for FC3 happened after the FC3test3
>release, the release of the final FC3 has been delayed to November 8. The
>extra time will be used only to give extra attention to the kernel, and to
>find any showstopper bugs in other parts of the distribution.
>
>Please rigorously test kernel 2.6.9-1.640 from the development tree
>(http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/).
>Use it! Try to break it! Find big problems with it! File bug reports! And
>thanks for making sure that Fedora is as high quality as you want it to
>be.
>
>Happy bug hunting,
>-- Elliot
>(*) A showstopper bug is one that corrupts data storage or severly
>impacts the user's basic ability to install and use the system.

Bugzilla # 133064 is a kernel related bug that is a show stopper for me
and anyone trying to print via networked LPD print servers such as the
Netgear PS110.  The system is unusable if I can't print.  Kernel 639 has
not solved this problem.  According to the last comment in this bug
report, it takes installing an _FC2_ kernel to make printing work.  It
actually worked up through kernel 2.6.8-1.526 that was one released in
FC3T1.  It has not worked since then.

Gerry Tool