upgrade from Fedora Core 2

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Oct 21 11:21:42 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 23:45, D. D. Brierton wrote:

> > It may not be supported, but why shouldn't it work?
> > I upgraded from test2 to test3, without problem.
>
> I think this is the rationale: upgrading from FCn to FCn+1 (i.e. from
> one final release to the next final release) is, of course, fine;
> upgrading from FCn to FCn+1-testX is fine because it tests the upgrade
> process; however, upgrading from any FCn-testX is strongly discouraged
> because test releases are by their nature bug-ridden and the upgrade
> process is specifically only tested for final release to (proposed) next
> final release. If you do the latter your machine may end up in some kind
> of borked state, which you will likely report to the list and on
> bugzilla and no one will really be able to determine if your problems
> are genuine ones which may potentially affect non-test-release users or
> whether they were specifically caused by your upgrading from a test
> release to a final release. Of course there is nothing to stop you doing
> what you proposed, but if things don't work out right then please don't
> post about them or buzilla them before trying to reproduce them on a
> clean install or supported upgrade.

I don't really understand this.
Won't the rpm's making up FC3 all have version number
greater then or equal to the version numbser in FC3-test3 ?
And doesn't that mean the FC3 rpm will be installed,
if it is different?

In any case, I wasn't saying that it was a wise or ethical thing to do.
I'm just saying that it seems to me very likely to work.

Incidentally, my experience is that clean installations frequently do not work
on one or more of my little collection of computers.
A couple of these have no CD or floppy drive,
so I am in a mess if an installation does not work.
(I normally install from the hard disk, after downloading by WiFi.)
If I upgrade, I have all the old kernels to try.

I'd go so far as to say that the kernels packaged with Redhat/Fedora
have steadily become less likely to work, in my experience.
None of the kernels have worked
either on a SCSI only machine or on Sony Picturebooks
since Redhat-8.0,

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366