FC2 & FC3 SCSI issues

Bill Cronk ngc4013 at cox.net
Thu Oct 21 18:32:48 UTC 2004

I have not resolved my SCSI RAID box problems when running either FC2 or
FC3t2 or FC3t3. I have been reading over past messages in the
fedora-test-list archives and have not found anything related yet to the
problem I am experiencing and am having difficulty resolving.

So let me reload my issues here to the list:

First off I have multiple RAID boxes originally setup on seperate
servers. I now have new servers which I want to put into my network, but
due to the problems getting the RAID boxes to load correctly I can't.

The problem(s): Originally I had the hard drive ID across all drives in
a RAID set to the default linux setting, did not have them configured
with 'fd' ID. These RAID boxes work on older installations and two of
them work on one server which has the full FC2 install.... I don't know
why they work and I can not duplicate the setup on new installs. They do
have different motherboards between the two servers.

On the latest test server I have FC3 installed, built one new RAID box
of 14 drives in a JBOD configuration with software raid5, and added on
the second SCSI port another RAID box setup as raid0 from another
server. I can make both start up and work by running a script which does
what should happen in the boot cycle. If I leave the normal raidtab file
in place then all fails and the boot cycle drops into single user mode
for repairs to the system. I believe now that this problem could have
been overcome by removing the spaces in the raidtab file at the
beginning of the 'raid-level' statement.

However, following a suggestion from a person here in the
fedora-test-list, I changed the drive ID to 'fd' and I started to try
using mdadm to mange the RAID which when combined now opens another
whole set of problems for me. One RAID box works fine on the Adaptec
U320 add on card, two RAID boxes starts the confusion and results in one
box not setting up due to the /dev/md1 device file missing. Tried
creating the /dev/md1 then setting up the RAID and it all works just
fine. Reboot the computer and /dev/md1 is gone.

So how is one supposed to fix this type of a problem which basically
revolves around the missing /dev/md1, but my impression is that between
udev and hotplug this should not have happened. Shouldn't the additional
SCSI RAID device being detected have automatically setup the device file
needed and connected to it? What needs to happen then if I needed to
plug onto three out of four SCSI ports on this box? Currently I believe
nothing would happen... it would just not work.

Any suggestions??

Sorry for being long winded...

Bill