No debuginfo packages for xorg?

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Thu Oct 21 18:50:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 18:25 -0700, Wes Shull wrote:
> After the recent brouhaha involving xorg, I was picking the bad builds out
> of my copy of rawhide to make sure I didn't accidentally install them.
> When I got over to the debug dir, though, I noticed no debuginfo packages
> for xorg at all, and looking at my archive, none ever.  Anyone know why?
> Am I missing something?  I'm afraid I'm not fully clueful enough to know
> how to check if the symbols have been left in the binaries (which would
> preclude the need for debuginfo packages).

The basic problem is that X does some non-standard stuff to have
"cross-platform" driver modules which doesn't work with the standard
debuginfo handling.

Because of the way debuginfo packages are generated, this unfortunately
prevents debuginfo even for the parts that don't have this sort of
problem - like the libraries.

We'd certainly like to have a solution here.. it certainly would help
*me* a lot in my work to have debuginfo for the X libraries ... but
the round tuits have never been sufficiently plentiful.

Regards,
						Owen