Latest Fedora Core 3 status: kernel testing needed

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Oct 21 19:24:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 13:09 -0600, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:
> Actually the amount of money from RHN at that point would probably
> only covered the bandwidth charges.. not the colo costs, and
> definately not the costs of developers/testers.

While I have no doubt that Stephen is correct here, it is still true
that Andrew, hundreds of others, and I were all happy to contribute $60
per machine (for X machines each) simply to help Red Hat, Inc. The
company has lost that income, and I still use that bandwidth!

Red Hat would be well-advised to think of a way for many of us to keep
paying them *something*. I had just convinced my company to pony up for
three RHN subscriptions when the service died.

Yes, I know that boxed sets were not profitable and that RHN income was
marginal. But that is the *point*. I, today, am still using stuff
(Fedora) that Red Hat, Inc. paid money to develop... just like I did
before with RHL. I still use bandwidth, and every time I convince
someone to install Linux we use *more* bandwidth.

I ***WANT*** to give Red Hat money, but Red Hat must give me a viable
excuse to do so. Give me a service or subscription I can justify to my
wife and my boss, and you make at least $200-$500 from me this year,
instead of $0. But now the only options I have are RHEL and I cannot
afford that.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>