dual-booting, internal video memory cards stealing from shared memory

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 22 03:59:49 UTC 2004

After trying two different PCI video cards which have internal memory. A
radeon 7200 w/ 32 MB and now an ATI with 16 MB. I am confused as to why
the card would subtract from video memory that my internal 815 video uses.
This shared memory reduces my allocated video memory for the 815 to a
maximum 800x600 resolution. This can be corrected by manually
configuring the 815 card to use higher resolutions. The confusion is why
this limitation happens in the first place.

This happens with FC3T1 through the current rawhide versions.

Also, I have the ATI running on the configuration file for xorg.conf
that is setup for the 815 video. The ATI GC is working and is confusing,
since it is using the wrong driver.

PCI ID for the 815 is 2:0:0 and the ATI is 0:1:0 if this is of any
importance. The primary cards are selected from BIOS configuration.

Jim