FC1 to FC3

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 23 16:10:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 10:53:52PM +1000, Res wrote:
> Greetings All.
>
> Wondering if anyone has done an upgrade to FC3 (current test, so i assume
> much the same as final) from a working FC1 box?  Looking for any catches
> and gotchyas to look out for in an upgrade... or is it pretty much
> straight forward with no hassles apart from the obvious stuff like special
> drivers compiled agaisnt exist kernels etc etc etc...

I used my old FC1 system as a test system for FC3. I initially upgraded
FC1 to FC3t1 and had no problems. I'm using an nVidia chipset and nVidia
graphics card reverted to the stock FC drivers rather than
the nVidia proprietary ones, because it was less trouble for future
updates. X11 to Xorg change wasn't even noticeable. As others have
pointed out, proprietary drivers may give you a few headaches.

I still prefer a fresh install (with a backup just in case) to an
upgrade, but if you have to upgrade it'll probably work.