FC1 to FC3

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Oct 23 16:57:40 UTC 2004

On Saturday 23 October 2004 16:17, Z wrote:

> >>I can't remember if FC1 was the first one to use xorg-x11 rather than
> >>XF86. If it was,
> >
> >No, FC2 was the first to take this disastrous step.
>
> That's a joke, right?

Not at all.

It was my experience with XFree86 that when bugs were encountered -
and any system will encounter bugs -
correcting patches were applied as soon as they were provided.

As I have pointed out, a patch was provided almost 6 monts ago
for a serious bug in the ATI driver,
which effectively meant that X could not be used
on a range of Sony Picturebooks.

The fact that Xorg works perfectly on your computer,
which you seem to take as proof of its all-round excellence,
is neither here nor there.
The issue is, what system is in hand for takiing corrective action
when bugs are found, and is it working properly.

My experience is that it is not working properly at the moment,
and my reading of the xorg mailing list
does not give me confidence that it will work well in the future.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366