First look at fc3rc1

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Oct 23 17:06:37 UTC 2004

On 10/23/2004 06:33:31 AM, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > But for me totem is the right path (gstreamer based).
>
> It would be nice if the damned thing could play an mpeg video!

It can.
You just need the right gstreamer-plugins.

The rawhide totem on *my* FC3 system is very nice - I built and
installed the right plugins.

That's why gstreamer backend is better than xine or mplayer - you don't
have recompile your apps every time you want to add capability it
didn't have before, you just need the plugin. Supposedly the same
company that paid the guy to do all the work on gstreamer/totem is
going to be offering these as a purchase option - I highly suspect
divx.com will soon provide a free plugin (they already provided the
shared library and the plugin code is already in gstreamer).