yum and low memory kernel behaviour

Gregory Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Sun Oct 24 06:39:55 UTC 2004

I have a small memory notebook (old Dell Latitude) with only 64MB of
RAM.  It is running FC3t3+rawhide (2004-10-23) using XFCE.  I mostly use
it as an intelligent terminal to other machines across the LAN, however
I expect it to be able to do other things (very) slowly when I need it
to do so.  The system _should_ swap to disk when necessary, but recent
kernels have been more inclined to invoke the OOM killer and kill off
various services.

Yum 2.1.10-3 is very good at trigerring this problem.  Trying to create
the pickle for the development repository will consistently kill the
machine.

I've boosted "swappiness" to 90 and tried, but that doesn't help.  It
still ends up killing the XFCE services and itself.

I can't quite figure out whether this is a bug in the kernel (1.640) or
yum?

Comments, analysis?

Dell Latitude 300CPi  Pentium II MMX @ 300MHz  64MB RAM
6GB disk (640MB swap)  FC3T3+rawhide(2004-10-23)
--
G.Wolfe Woodbury     `- -'
RHCT                   U