A little off subject

Neil Gierman ngierman at roadrunn.com
Sun Oct 24 17:06:15 UTC 2004

I run about 12 websites off a single linux box and single IP. I am using
the apache2 dynamic vhosts "function". I have included the
dynamic-vhosts.conf file and modified it to my distribution (using
Gentoo for the server)

dynamic-vhosts.conf:
-----
UseCanonicalName Off
LogFormat "%V %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-agent}i
\"" vcommon
CustomLog logs/access_log vcommon
VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/vhosts/%0/htdocs
VirtualScriptAlias  /var/www/vhosts/%0/cgi-bin
-----

All I have to do to stand up another website is add a directory
in /var/www/vhosts of the domain name and an htdocs (and cgi-bin if
needed) folder under that.

Also don't forget to add the read permissions to htdocs, and execcgi to
cgi-bin in your main apache conf file:

<Directory /var/www/vhosts/*/cgi-bin>
   AllowOverride All
   Options ExecCGI
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory /var/www/vhosts/*/htdocs>
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Options MultiViews Indexes FollowSymLinks IncludesNoExec
    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Limit>