Very Bad Thing: system-config-network horribly broken

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Oct 25 22:18:51 UTC 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 18:28, Patrick Jordan wrote:

> The only time I see this behaviour is with the default Common profile.
> If you set something in the common profile it gets set or unset in all
> profiles.
> I checked and you can't rename the common profile, but maybe copying
> it gives you the same behavior? I'm not sure how you created your
> profiles, maybe this has something to do with it though.

The help file clearly says that you should create a new profile,
and then copy an existing device.
It  explicitly says that one should _not_ choose "New" at this stage.

The fact is, the setup in this GUI is very confused.
It is not clear at any moment what one is changing - device or profile.
It is not clear if the DNS settings belong to a device or a profile.

It is also not clear to me why there are two applications,
in System Settings=>Network and System Tools=>Network Device Control,
which seem to interact in an unpredictable way.
I do not understand why the programs are divided in this way.
It seems completely unncessary.

Personally, I have given up on this application,
and am hoping the NetworkManager promised for FC3 will work better.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366