make rpm "kernels" what other options or web-links?

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Mon Oct 25 23:51:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 12:05 -0500, Justin Conover wrote:
> What i'm looking for is takeing a "vanilla" or "ck" patched kernel,
> building it myself and using "make rpm" to create the kernel.rpm.
> However that doesn't not create the source-code.rpm kernel and after
> the build is finished the buildsource isn't in the .spec like it is
> when the folks from fedora/redhat build the kernels.

I think what you really want to do is something else (you just don't
realize it yet).  What you want to do is take the existing Fedora
kernel-2.6.spec from the latest kernel srpm and modify it to do your
bidding.
- remove all patches you do not want to apply
- change the source tarball to your ck or other patchset kernel
- add in patches if you have them for moving up from that tarball
- change the version information in the rpm and add your own info and
comments to the specfile changelog (this is always a good idea)

And then, you can build an rpm kernel to work with Fedora as it should.
To get through all that you're going to need to read some about rpms and
specfiles, but in the end you will be much more successful, and a
happier person overall! (life is grand when things work right) :)

--
Andrew Farris (lordmorgul) <andrew at andrewfarris.com>
- CPE student, Cal Poly SLO, pgp keyid 4430F405 pgp.mit.edu