Netapplet

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vR at movingparts.net
Tue Oct 26 18:21:47 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 11:02 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
[snip]
> > I also like that I have access to both my wired and wireless interfaces.
>
> How do you mean?  When you only have a wired connection (no wireless
> card plugged in), the applet will hide itself (somewhat debatable, I
> think it should show all the time) [snip]

Can you PLEASE make the applet always show up?  Please, Please?

Also, I'm not sure I understand how NetworkManagerInfo is supposed to
work....

I have a wireless LAN at home, where I have chosen to not broadcast the
SID, AND I have WEP turned on.  I started the NetworkManager service,
and started NetworkManagerInfo.  It was unable to find or associate to
the SID, of course.  So I selected "Other wireless networks..." from the
menu, and was able to put my SID in, but that's as far as I got.
NetworkManagerInfo came back with an error of some sort.  I'm assuming
that it was trying to associate to the AP, but since it didn't have any
information for the WEP key, it wasn't able to.

Am I doing something wrong?  I did read the docs that came with
NetworkManager and didn't find anything related to WEP. It would seem to
make sense to me that the popup for "put your ESSID in here" should also
include information like alternative channels, rate, and WEP key,
shouldn't it?  I agree that it should only ask for this once, but it
should ask for it once, shouldn't it?

TIA!

--

 `