Missing menu items after upgrade

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 00:56:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:21:05 -0400, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
> This is deliberate.  We want Emacs as part of the default installation
> for all of us Emacs weenies, but Emacs is not a typical end user
> application, so it shouldn't be in the menu.

This is contradictory to some extent.
Emacs weenies...pitchs forks and blazing torches in hand demand emacs
be available by default because they can't be bothered to do a custom
install.  But the compromise requires a delibrate attempt to hide
emacs from new users and new programmers who would enjoy using emacs
as a development tool.

Suck it up, stand up for the design principle of the default desktop
install concept..and move emacs over to workstation install and give
it an entry in Programming submenu.
If any application fits into the definition of "Workstation" as
defined in anaconda at the moment..its emacs.

-jef"its very very easy to decide to cut what other people want from
the default desktop install...but the rubber hits the road when the
developers and maintainers themselves finally start moving their
favorite development and administration tools out of the default
install and into the workstation install as a matter of design
principle"spaleta