Fedora Core 2 Test Update: wget-1.9.1-16.fc2

Rob van Nieuwkerk robn at verdi.et.tudelft.nl
Thu Oct 28 01:15:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:12:33 -0400
Andrew <cmkrnl at speakeasy.net> wrote:

Hi Andrew,

> > A: Because people read from top to bottom.
> > Q: Why is top posting bad?
> >

> Even though this is off topic...
> But if you read the _thread_ from top to bottom maybe you wouldn't
> need to have the thread reproduced _in_ every message.  If reading the
> thread is too much trouble, then maybe the reply is not worth the effort.

I think it is good to quote the *relevant* part of the posting you are
replying to in a reply:

- it makes a reply easier to understand: you can put your reply lines
  exactly under the right line of the original text if necessary.

- people might not have the part of the thread or the original posting
  available anymore because they already deleted it (maybe some time ago
  already).  Providing the relevant context makes a reply much more
  useful by itself.

- if this this relevant context is in an email it is also much easier
  to use it stand-alone.  For example by forwarding it to someone
  or storing it.

Of course always quoting the *complete* post you are replying to is
very bad.  But not as bad as top posting of course .. :-)

	greetings,
	Rob van Nieuwkerk