System Settings=>Network rant

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Oct 28 11:18:37 UTC 2004

I want to be able to use my laptop easily in 2 places - home and work.
I imagine this is a very common wish.

I'm baffled by the enormous problem Fedora seems to be making of this.
There seem to be 3 different applications which deal with the issue:
 1. The System Settings->Network GUI which apparently comes with Fedora
 2. NetApplet
 3 NetworkManager
I have had prblems with all three.

As I said, I'm baffled by this, as the issue seems to me almost trivial.
I have two tiny shell scripts which do the job OK for me,
so it can hardly require brain surgery.
But I'd  like touse a standard system if there is one that works.

The problems I've encountered:
 1. Changes to one profile affect other profiles
 2. I tried compiling this, but it did not function at all - probably my fault
 3. Seemed only to work with dhcp, which I don't use at home.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366