Should Fedora rpms be signed?

Matias Féliciano feliciano.matias at free.fr
Thu Oct 28 17:38:02 UTC 2004

Le jeudi 28 octobre 2004 à 12:34 -0400, Peter Jones a écrit :
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 14:34 +0200, nodata wrote:
>
> > Yes, but that's not really the point.
> > The point is that the RPMs are not signed.
> >
> > It's not really important how it came to be noticed that the RPMs were not
> > signed (i.e. the announcement about the recent scam)
> >
> > It's not really relevant either than RPMs can verify themselves.
> > The whole point of my post was that there is no way to verify a rawhide
> > RPM originated from Red Hat.
> >
> > True, signing them would devalue the signing key, but NOT signing them
> > devalues the RPMs even more because they cannot be automatically verified
> > using a package manager.
>
> The question is still one of gains versus losses.  I personally think we
> gain more by _not_ signing them.  If we automatically sign them, we make
> it more convenient for people who don't want to use --nosig or whatnot
> on rawhide packages.
>
> That's not a win.

That's not a loss.

>   In fact, it's a big loss.  If the packages are
> automatically signed during the build process, the only thing the
> signature means is "it showed up in the queue of things to be signed".
> But if you see a signed package, the impression you get is that it is in
> some way "trusted".  Of course, it isn't trusted.  It's just got a
> signature that says "don't make the user type --nosig".

what is the loss ? If the package is signed you can install it with --
nosig or without --nosig.
If the package is not signed you should use --nosig and definitely don't
trust any mirrors at any moment.

So, what is the loss ?

> If you _really_ want a way around that, change the update tools so you
> can mark a repo as being allowed to have unsigned packages.

This is a _real_ big loss.

> If the problem you're trying to avoid is corruption or injection attacks
> on a repo, signing the packages still isn't the right answer

But i can't still see the loss.

>  -- sign the
> metadata on the repo, and then compare the packages to that, instead.

????
"createrepo --addsign ...." is better than "rpm --addsign *.rpm" ?
Why ?

> Then there's no misplaced trust on the package, as you'd get by signing
> it, but there is verification that it is the right package.

???? You mean I should not trust the right package ?