Missing menu items after upgrade

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Oct 28 23:24:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 21:24 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> And besides, we're just talking about defaults.  Nothing stops you from
> removing NoDisplay=true from the .desktop file.

Colin, despite the respect I have for you, that comment is just absurd.

I rather like emacs. I haven't used it recently since I had only seen Vi
on the GNOME menu, recently installed FC3-T2, and just have not had the
spare cycles to tweak the installation. I was flabbergasted just now to
discover that Emacs *was* installed, but not on the menu.

If the default user does not use Emacs, don't install it! Simple. But
any application that is installed should be on the menu somewhere. This
decision of "the user does not need to know that it is there" smacks of
Windows deciding what's best for you without your knowledge or consent,
and furthermore bloats the disk space requirements for the many for
something only used by the few.

I do *NOT* want to have to search my disk and scour the .desktop files
to find out what happened behind my back or without my knowledge.
"NoDisplay=true" should *NEVER* be the default for an application.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>