Should Fedora rpms be signed?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Oct 29 17:06:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 17:11 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> So we (in a very much too broad sense of "we" ;-) are basically saying
> that we should replace a mechanism that worked well for years with
> another one that a) puts a burden on the people who "know what things
> mean", b) doesn't really solve the problem with people doing things they
> shouldn't do(*) and c) doesn't exist already? Great idea ;-).

First, I am *NOT* qualified to debate this intelligently. I am
participating in this discussion mostly out of interest in learning
about the subjects at hand. So I may say something incorrect, and you
are hereby forbidden from beating me over the head with it.

That being said, let me take your points one by one:

  1. Replace something that worked well for years. What was the
mechanism previously that let me verify that the updated kernel RPM on
Mirror X was a bit-identical copy of the one actually published by Red
Hat? I know how to verify ISO's but know of nothing that verifies a
package was not tampered with after being placed on a mirror.

  2. Puts a burden on people who know. Why? If a repo's metadata is
signed, isn't that just one more check up2date and yum can perform to
improve authentication of a package? Isn't that automatic? And can't
someone also get it by hand if they choose? Besides, since you can
always get the package *without* checking the metadata if you so choose
with a simple "wget", what burden is put on these people?

  3. Doesn't stop people from doing things they shouldn't do. No
kidding... as I understood it, the idea of signing metadata had no
"control" purposes in mind whatsoever. It was merely intended to be a
way to know that the bits stored on server "A" were the same as those
issued by the RHI buildsystem. How is this relevant?

  4. Doesn't exist already. So what's your point? Tell me that it's a
bad idea and explain why. But "doesn't exist yet" is a bloody silly
argument.

Seems to the unwashed masses here that signing repo metadata provides
one benefit (knowing package A on server A is bit-identical to package A
on server B) and has no real cost other than the addition of a new
feature (which is even optional, since no one *has* to use it) to
package managers like yum and up2date.

I see no downside. Since you do, can you provide more detail on what and
why?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>