FC3rc5

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 21:44:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:19:23 -0600, Kim Lux <lux at diesel-research.com> wrote:
> I'm a bit choked about something: I posted issues to the list for a day
> and repeatedly was told that the problem was because I UPGRADED from a
> stable FC2 to FC3T3.

Step back a second... take a deep breath.
Please realise that this is an open community forum. The ability to
speak and to give suggestions as to resolutions and workarounds is not
dependant on how knowledge the person giving the suggestions is. Nor
can it be assumed that anyone making suggestions as to workarounds and
resolutions on the list, speaks for the maintainer or developer of the
affected package or for fedora leadership. As valuable as community
input on problems can be, the same community can be exceedingly
unvaluable as well. Real fixes concerning upgrade issues come from
developers and maintainers via bug reports and interacting with the
package maintainers and developers via bugzilla. Take the comments in
this list with a grain of salt, and focus more on the comments from
developers in bugzilla about your upgrade and install bugs.

I will point you to the fedora core list of objectives, for
reassurance that smooth upgrades from core release to core release is
considered important as a matter of fedora core policy. While I
personally avoid doing upgrades and I personally prefer fresh
installs, you shouldn't take my personal preference nor any other
community member's personal preference as a statement of upgrade
policy by fedora core. It's important to be able to seperate random
community input from project policy.

-jef