FC3rc5

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Fri Oct 29 23:11:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 18:45, Matias Féliciano wrote:

> If I can't update from FC3RC1 to FC3 it should be considered as a bug.

  Not likely to happen.  Ever.  If you wish to donate development effort
to anaconda and lobby the anaconda developers to incorporate
testrelease->officialrelease (all combinations) specific hacks, then you
are welcome to do that.  I'm sure the current anaconda developers have
plenty enough to do that they are probably not interested in wasting
time on upgrades *from* test releases.

> If after an update from FC1 to FC3RC1 there still bugs, they should be
> considered as confirmed bugs. Fedora should not request to do a fresh
> install to confirm the bug.

  You are correct, here.  However, sometimes is can be quite helpful to
determine whether a problem exists in both upgrades and installs or just
in upgrades.  Sometimes, upgrade problems can be harder to fix.  Even
tricky enough that they can't safely be fix in an automated way,
especially when a choice has to be made that is best made by the user.
But identifying something as an upgrade problem can narrow down the
problem and provide, via the release notes, a way to mitigate or fix the
problem manually.
  If you've done upgrades of *any* other OS, you must know that almost
all upgrades have some issues.  Usually, they are minor, and often, they
are 'release-noted'.
  But if something gets closed as NOTABUG because it is an upgrade
problem (from official release to test release), then I'd bitch, too.
WONTFIX, I can deal with, though, if it's due to a engineering resource
issue.

[snip]

> After rc1, fedora should not downgrade package. Fedora is freeze since
> Test 3.

  In an ideal world, yes.  But there are times when it's unavoidable.

> I am not requesting for a "strong" support. Information in the release
> note to update from FC3RC(x) to FC3 is enough (perhaps with some "rpm -U
> --oldpackage :-)).

  Well, that makes sense.  But sometimes, as I mentioned above, there
are some things that may need user intervention.  Stuff that anaconda
does to fix some things up, that won't work with interim test release
due to an attempt to integrate something into the release that failed.
Two examples from the FC2 cycle come to mind that might have caused
problems: evolution 1.5 and selinux.  Someone more intimately involved
with those may be able to confirm or deny if these specifically would
have been a problem for upgrades from interim test releases, but they
are just examples to illustrate a point.  And that is that big
integration efforts sometimes don't succeed in time for release.  And
that makes for messy, error-prone, from-test-release upgrades.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator