RC5: Dependencies everywhere!

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sun Oct 31 02:41:57 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 20:12 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> 2. Why does rhpl require the synaptics driver? [...]

Follow-up to my own post here... after some work, I can confirm that I
cannot remove cups, cups-libs, freetype, fontconfig, xorg*, and a whole
bunch of other stuff because xorg* is required by synaptics.

Synaptics in turn cannot be deleted since it is required by rhpl, and
that cannot be removed since it is required by up2date. So if I want to
keep up2date, I'm stuck with between 30-40MB of stuff just because rhpl
requires the synaptics package.

And it just seems downright foolish that CUPS, Xorg packages, and a
bunch of other stuff ends up being installed on the system due to a
touchpad I don't even have. Given that surely a low percentage of
computers on Earth have a Synaptics touch pad, and that this package has
never before existed, isn't this dependency SOMEHOW modifiable?

Why does rhpl depend on synaptics? What can be done to remove that link?

Thanks!

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>