RC5: Dependencies everywhere!

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Oct 31 05:02:32 UTC 2004

On 10/30/2004 09:19:00 PM, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> I know the frustration and the feeling! Some months ago I tried to
> uninstall a small number of web server-related components that came
> with Fedora Core 2 and it was heck because of a seemingly endless
> chain of package dependencies. All I wanted to do was to get rid of a
> small set of packages.  I resorted to rebuilding at least one package
> where I removed the dependency from it, then installed it as an
> upgrade. That in turn let me rpm -e a bunch of packages. Not pretty,
> but it gave me what I wanted. With some packages a little more
> thought needs to go into deciding what the dependencies really ought
> to be.

I agree. Often this can be done through sub packages.

I don't use any qt apps.
But because gstreamer-plugins includes an arts plugin, arts is required
which in turn requires qt.

Not as big of a dependency issue but still - simply making a gstreamer-
plugins-arts package would mean it would be possible to install a
system without qt.