Missing /dev/cdrom and /dev/sr0 when using kernel-2.6.8-1.541

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 14:00:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 00:12:36 -0500, Mike Klinke <lsomike at futzin.com> wrote:

> As the subject notes my cdrom and sr0 devices are not installed with
> the 2.6.8-1.541 kernel.  Reverting back to the 2.6.8-1.535 kernel
> brings the devices back.  This is on a firewire based cdrom (Sony
> VAIO laptop).

funny you should mention this....
Im seeing something similar regarding my usb scanner.
The scsi device listing is not being created for my scanner in 541 kernel
until i modprobe sg.

I revert back to kernel 535.. and it works. Actually...afaict all my
hardware works now
on 535. All my usb devices, this is a milestone event.  This is the
first time everything connected to this crate has actually been
working... even the gnome volume manager automounting is working for
all my usb storage devices.

booting into 541 and i see a range of rather funky behavior with the
usb-storage devices... the scanner issue seems the most striaght
forward in that i can modprobe sg and get functionality back.

-jef