The MySQL question.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Sep 10 15:15:25 UTC 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 07:28, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
>> On Fre, 2004-09-10 at 07:06 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
>> > But not yet released anything with that license, nor fixed up
>> > some of the corner cases.
>>
>> Not true, see http://lists.mysql.com/announce/217
>
>Which was *THIS* morning. Do you expect everyone to read *all*
>announcements of each open source project?
>
>Please, take your stupid trolling somewhere else.
>
>Ralph

I agree, but then IANAL.  I went and read that little 'rider' and
AFAIAC, while the language purports do make exceptions, my personal
view of the GPL is that there aren't any exceptions.  It seems to
specifically address the possibility by denying the GPL status to
anything that intends to put further exceptions/restrictions in
place.  If PHP linkage/use with MySQL is the friction point, and PHP
isn't 100% GPL as someone indicated, then maybe the _real_ problem is
that the PHP license needs readjusted.  I don't personally use either
so the discussion is just extra noise, and I'm sorry to have
contributed to it.

An old farts $0.02.  And he doubts thats it worth even that.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)