Relationship between /dev and /udev

Andrew cmkrnl at speakeasy.net
Sun Sep 12 22:07:55 UTC 2004

Paul wrote:

>>lsof | grep udev
>>
>About 12 lines long

If none of the lines are not sound related then perhaps its not really a
/udev vs /dev problem with the sound.  What do you have in /proc/asound ...
and what about an the output of
aplay -l
and
aplay -L
watch out for the aplay -L it outputs to stderr not stdout so I usually
do a
aplay -L 2>junk && less junk

If that is all nicely populated and you get output from aplay -l, then I
would ask if you are using ALSA output [libALSA.so] in xmms and device
hw:0,0

>>I know from my own personal experience running the utopia stack through
>>its growth phase from February thru the summer, there were some issues
>>with the "udev as dev" cut over.  I'm not even sure I should have the
>>dev package installed anymore, but anyway it is my understanding that
>>nothing should be touching anything in /udev.   Only the nodes in /dev
>>should be used.  It took me an entire eventing to 1 figure that out and
>>2) get all my sound things pointing back to /dev.
>>

>How did you manage to do that?

Arrgh, actually that was quite a while ago, and I was merging that in my
memory -- I guess I need an upgrade --was my "fun" last week when I was
getting my Softlink modem with the intel8x0m ALSA driver working -- it
kept loading the modem first, so all my sound was then going to the
modem and not the real sound hardware.  However, I think I put a device
item in my /etc/esd.conf to at least get my gnome sounds to work -- if
you are a KDE guy there must be an arts equiv.  If you are using
gnome,   maybe a
esdmon /udev/dsp[ 0]
or
esdmon /dev/dsp[ 0]
might work.
If they don't exist you might try mknod using the major and minors from
the /dev or /udev for the missing devices and see if it then just
works.  The why, of course, will be easier to find after that.

>Which is probably what has hit me as sound was working prior to the
>update run on Friday night.

Ahh, the wonder and happiness of RAWHIDE!

HTH,

Andrew
-------------------
Mine looks like this

ls -la /proc/asound
total 1
dr-xr-xr-x    5 root root 0 Sep 12 17:16 .
dr-xr-xr-x  139 root root 0 Sep  2 18:16 ..
dr-xr-xr-x    7 root root 0 Sep 12 17:16 card0
-r--r--r--    1 root root 0 Sep 12 17:16 cards
-r--r--r--    1 root root 0 Sep 12 17:16 devices
-r--r--r--    1 root root 0 Sep 12 17:16 modules
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root 5 Sep 12 17:16 nForce2 -> card0
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root root 0 Sep 12 17:16 oss
-r--r--r--    1 root root 0 Sep 12 17:16 pcm
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root root 0 Sep 12 17:16 seq
-r--r--r--    1 root root 0 Sep 12 17:16 timers
-r--r--r--    1 root root 0 Sep 12 17:16 version

cat /proc/asound/devices
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
 18: [0- 2]: digital audio playback
 25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:       : timer

cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_intel8x0

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [nForce2        ]: NFORCE - NVidia nForce2
                     NVidia nForce2 at 0xed001000, irq 5

aplay -l
card 0: nForce2 [NVidia nForce2], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia nForce2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: nForce2 [NVidia nForce2], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia
nForce2 - IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0