Crazy question regarding refresh and X

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 13 11:37:55 UTC 2004

Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Sunday 12 September 2004 19:27, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>At least I'm learning a bit about what certain settings do and
>>how important setting a few numbers can bring down X or make it
>>work properly.
>

> Same here... heh... more than I was hoping for to be sure, but, it's
> all fun.
>

>>Both the man and info pages are useful for the i810 driver to
>>some extent. Examples and specific information on the functions
>>of commands might have been explained a bit better for the
>>general users.
>>
>>I found interesting the information about the module used for
>>your particular setup. This would give me away for running a
>>tainted version. This was before the 24 depth setting restored
>>functionality for the stock binaries that were compiled for this
>>version of X.
>>
>>To clarify things to me, are you getting the refresh problem with
>>setting to 24 depth? This sounds reverse to my situation.
>

> Yes, the "16 Bit, DRI=yes" mode is my best mode and what I've been
> using exclusively for the past week or so.  It's been that long
> since I tried 24 Bit mode and I was rather surprised to find a
> problem with it yesterday.  I suspect something's changed with the
> latest version, or two, of Xorg-X11* as I was using 24 Bit a few
> weeks ago off and on just to check the performance differences
> between the two modes.
>

>>As a note: I added the DRI option to the xorg.conf file and am
>>going to see if this allows me to see what DRI enabling will do
>>at 16 depth on this computer.
>

> I saw your notes on the freedesktop.org/bugzilla/ bugs.  Pretty
> darned messed up, isn't it?
>
> Regards, Mike Klinke

After learning more about resolution, depth, DRI and using configuration
tools vs. editing settings manually. I now plan on testing this with an
845 Graphics Controller on another computer. I hope this bug is not
system-independent. This uses the i810 driver and was actually fixed
with the CVS version improvements, prior to these planned tests. I plan
the tests with rc2 for FC3T2 installation discs.

Jim

--
system-independent, adj.:
	Works equally poorly on all systems.