dev-3.12-1

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Sep 13 13:35:38 UTC 2004

On Sep 11, 2004, Paul <paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Just another little one. dev-3.12-1 doesn't seem to be installable. All
> I get when I try to install it is that mounted devfs detected.

> Any way around this?

This seems to have worked for me:

mkdir /tmp/root-only
mount --bind / /tmp/root-only
chroot /tmp/root-only up2date -u dev
umount /tmp/root-only
rmdir /tmp/root-only

You may need additional --bind-mounting if you have say /usr or /var
in separate filesystems.

Just make sure you don't bind-mount /proc or /sys, otherwise dev will
tell /dev is a tmpfs and refuse to install.  I *hope* the absence of
/proc and /sys won't prevent SELinux contexts from being set, but I'm
not entirely sure.  Worst case, you may have to fixfiles /dev if you
ever boot without udev, so it's hopefully not a big deal.