Frustrating update problem

Gord McLeod mcleodg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 16:02:22 UTC 2004

Greetings,

I'm having an embarassingly newbieish problem that I've been trying
for days to find an answer to without much luck so far. I'm testing
out Fedora Core 3 Test 1, and up2date will not run on the system.
Sometimes it gets as far as asking me for the root password (if I'm
logged in under my usual username), but whether it does that or not,
the program never executes. Additionally, yum won't update the system
due to dependancy conflicts with two packages.

Error: missing dep: iiimf-server for pkg iimf-le-sun-asia
Error: xorg-x11-font-utils conflicts: xorg-x11-base-fonts<= 6.7.99.903-3

Any suggestions on where I might get the needed packages, or even
which packages I could safely remove to get rid of this? Or heck, even
a command to make yum ignore the set of packages with the dependancy
problems and just update everything it CAN update? I'm a good 800+
updates behind and would like to catch up.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.