Does udev make system unbootable?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 18 18:39:44 UTC 2004

On Saturday 18 September 2004 13:06, Dwaine Garden wrote:
>Mike Klinke wrote:
>>On Saturday 18 September 2004 11:35, DG wrote:
>>

>>Two things I did that led to my inability to boot was using the
>>--noudev switch on the mkinitrd command line and in the udev
>>configuration file:
>>
>>/etc/udev/udev.conf
>>
>>I had the line:
>>
>>UDEV_INITRD="no"
>>

>>After changing that line to:
>>
>>UDEV_INITRD="yes"
>>
>>and then rebuilding the initrd*.img file without the --noudev
>> switch I could then boot just fine into the .541 kernel.
>>
>>Regards, Mike Klinke
>
>I'm ok there.  the UDEV_INITRD='yes' is set fine.   My fedora .541
>kernel boots ok. But the plain kernel.org kernel
>does not.   Ummm...  I must be missing something.
>
>Dwaine.

Since the kernel.org kernels do not yet have udev support available as
a compile time option, I suspect you will have to conjure up a way to
run MAKDEV to populate the /dev directory as its probably quite
sparsely populated now.  After seeing all the discussion about it
quite some time ago, I've expected it to show up, but it has not.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)