Thunderbird (missing enigmail)

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Sep 28 06:11:21 UTC 2004

Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:
> Hi, we have been using enigmail with the thunderbird for some of our
> work.. I was wondering why it had been removed from the latest
> thunderbird and would it be put back at some point?

blizzard and caillon objected rightly to the inclusion of enigmail
within our package, because it is extremely difficult to maintain as it
is not an upstream feature.  Too often with new versions it takes weeks
to get enigmail working again in packaged form.  The risk is just too great.

For the short term, we should be able to package it separately in
Extras, but the only maintainable long term solution is to convince
upstream thunderbird to accept it.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com