latest update to FC3-test1 hoses the system

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Thu Sep 2 16:41:07 UTC 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 11:31, Nave, Ronald wrote:
> I just finished updating my system this morning and now find that
> modprobe generates a segmentation fault when I boot up
>
> As a result I can not load drivers for CD rom , floppy disk ,
> ethernet card , or USB memory sticks .
>
> The system boots up , but there is no way to load new files onto
> the system to undo the mess I have gotten into.
>
> It looks like I may have to reformat and start over.

Several of us have run into the same problem.  What worked for me
was to boot up, navigate to the /var/cache/yum/development/packages
directory, rollback to the previous version of module-init-tools:

rpm -Uvh --oldpackage module-init-tools-3.0-2.i386.rpm

and in my case I rebooted into the earlier kernel 2.6.8-1.535 and
everything came back alive.  I haven't looked around to see if
there's still any broken glass and scratches but I'm back to where
I can play again.

Regards, Mike Klinke