after last update... few questions

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 19:48:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:04:39 +0100, Bart Kalita <bartk at clara.co.uk> wrote:
> Well,
>
> please first accept the fact that I'm thick as two short planks stuck
> together with thick glue.
>
> and now if someone could answer following Q's:
>
> 1. nightly tree supposed to be instalable. How?

boot.iso network install... assuming the development tree is
self-consistent and there wasn't a problem building it.  boot.iso
should be in the images directory in the development tree.  Assuming
of course, things didnt break.

> 2. Devel tree is supposed to be fast moving, last update ( however
> disasterous ) was more than 48 hours ago and since then no updates are
> downloadable.... the kernel, dev, init-tools disaster MUST have been
> by  now realised  by the devel team.

things break.. its development...even the process by which new
packages build breaks from time to time. This making trying to do
installs from the development tree really really fun.  The hard part
is knowing if the nightly tree is self-consistent and thus worth
attempting to run a network install against.  There might be a clever
way to flag each nightly tree as self-consistent or not in an
automated way so that people working with the tree can make an
informed decision about whether to try to do a fresh install from it.

-jef"I hope someone clever reads this paragraph and responds with a
clever 'this tree is self-consistent' script for the build
process"spaleta