Better, but seems to wave at left/right edges - xorg-x11

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 3 04:12:42 UTC 2004

I just installed the latest xorg-x11 rpms and X comes up now. I am able
to start typing this message and all seems well.

I was able to comment that the fix that brought X up again was working,
then it messed up on the last trial.

The only problem that I noticed was a wavy like action on the left and
right sides of the screen. This is using the stock rpms from recent
days. This is with pure binaries and no horrible hacking applied.

Also, the i686 optimized rpms are working fine on the other installation
that I have on the same machine.

This gives hopes to those with the i810 driver running their video
cards. So does anyone with similar video hardware note any improvements
or regressions?

A noted improvement with this X version, compared with xorg-x11-6.7.0-6,
which this system had installed onto it before the upgrade relates to
higher glxgears readings.

xorg-x11-6.7.0-6 results:
glxgears
349 frames in 5.0 seconds = 69.800 FPS
360 frames in 6.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS
357 frames in 6.0 seconds = 59.500 FPS
360 frames in 5.0 seconds = 72.000 FPS
360 frames in 6.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS
360 frames in 5.0 seconds = 72.000 FPS
360 frames in 5.0 seconds = 72.000 FPS
360 frames in 6.0 seconds = 60.000 FPS
360 frames in 5.0 seconds = 72.000 FPS
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

xorg-x11-6.7.99.903-2 rates at:
glxgears
621 frames in 6.0 seconds = 103.500 FPS
480 frames in 5.0 seconds = 96.000 FPS
480 frames in 5.0 seconds = 96.000 FPS
480 frames in 5.0 seconds = 96.000 FPS
480 frames in 5.0 seconds = 96.000 FPS

and glxinfo will be included with bug closing on my submitted open bug
reports.

Jim