Replacing Xaw shared libs w/ Xaw3d libs?

Bryan K. Wright bryan at ayesha.phys.Virginia.EDU
Fri Sep 3 14:01:42 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

	I tried posing this question on the fedora-list, but got no
or point me to something in the development tree that fixes my
problem.

	Under earlier distributions, I've always been able to
replace the Xaw shared libs with the equivalent Xaw3d libs.  This
is a quick way of prettying up some older X applications (xterm, xcalc,
xfig, etc.)  For some reason, this doesn't seem to work under FC2.

	Normally, I'd just do this:

	mv libXaw.so.7.0 /some/where/safe/
	cp -f libXaw3d.so.7.0 libXaw.so.7.0
	ldconfig -v

and, voila!, xterm gets a 3-d scroll bar.

	Under FC2 though, xterm complains that it can't find libXaw.so.7.
It turns out that ldconfig is indeed failing to create the symbolic
link from libXaw.so.7 to libXaw.so.7.0.  Creating the link by hand
doesn't solve the problem, though.  Typing 'ldd /usr/bin/xterm' still shows
libXaw.so.7 as missing.

	At first I thought it might be a problem with prelinking,
so I did a 'prelink -u /usr/bin/xterm'.  That didn't seem to make
any difference.

	Has anybody successfully replaced Xaw with Xaw3d in this
manner under FC2?

					Thanks in advance,
					Bryan
Bryan Wright                |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department          | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia      | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901  |
(434) 924-7218              |         bryan at virginia.edu