Problem with today's "yum update"

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sat Sep 4 16:13:15 UTC 2004

On Saturday 04 September 2004 10:14, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > That said, I'm getting this when I try to do an update. yum
> > > gets to the resolving dependencies stage and then...
> >
> > did you install yum 2.1.3 yet?
>
> Still on 2.1.2. yum is in part of the updates.
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

Paul,

You're just going down the same path I did this morning. Try this:

1. Manually download the new yum package (2.1.3.)
2. Install it. ( rpm -Uvh yum-blah-blah )
3. Issue the "yum --oblsoletes upate" command

The --obsoletes switch is undocumented in the man pages but it does
indeed work.  Here's a link to a discussion last March that may be
of interest:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-test-list&m=108304807037994&w=2

Regards, Mike Klinke