make yum.conf do a user ftp login for baseurl

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Sep 5 23:35:54 UTC 2004

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com> writes:
>
> >> I'm a little gun shy now calling this a yum problem.  Do you see
> >> further bumbling on my part?
> >
> > I will bet it is not a yum problem. The easiest way I have found to
> > troubleshoot this type of problem is to use a web browser to connect to your
> > repo. If that does not work neither will yum. OTOH if the web browser can
> > browse the repodata directory then yum should work. It would appear you have
> > some kind of permission problem.
>
> I'm inclined to agree and using your test with http:
>   (http://reader:xxxxx@reader.local.net0/home/reader/no_bak/fedraw)
>
> I get a message saying `you are trying to access reader.local.net0
> with uid reader, that does not require authentication.  Is this the
> site you want?
>
> Answering yes gets a 404
>
> If I put a symlink to fedraw in /var/www/html then:
>  http://reader.local.net0/fedraw
>
> Works fine and hits my repo.
>
> So it appears this problem occurs only with authenticating type urls.
> And maybe even only when using ftp.

Hummm, just a guess but try using ftp:// path. You get a 404 with http
because it is not in the document root of the web server. The symlink fixes
that. The web browser knows what to do with ftp:// type url's. BTW: yum will
follow symlinks just fine also. I have numerous local repos symlinked
together.

> The fact that: http://reader.local.net0/fedraw as a base url works,
> and yum does updates and installs etc from it should answer the other
> question you posted running special command to create repos.
>
> It is mirror of already created repo on carroll.cac

OK. Sounds logical.

Tom