last 541 kernel damages fileystem .. starting fresh FC3T2 candidate.

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 5 21:59:52 UTC 2004

Janina Sajka wrote:
> Andy Green writes:

>>>What errors are you noticing? Seems to be fine here, on my ppc box
>>
>>"Seems to be fine" on machines here... but... I noticed that df -h filesystem
>>usage does NOT match du -h -x / for the root fs.  Then I noticed that the
>>boot partition df -h is completely broken...
>>

> I can get a kernel oops from intense disk writes/reads. On the other
> hand, heavy CPU usage seems fine. So, I think there's something funky
> about disk i/o as well.

If I thought earlier, before reformatting the disk, I would have saved
the contents of /var/log/. This would have saved any boot.log and other
logs.

Since one of the errors was related to not being able to open a core
device, it could be one of the special device files or something and
interaction with the 541 kernel.

I did not upgrade the mod-utils rpm or the libsoup rpm before the
filesystem errors. I had the latest of the other rpms installed and did
not revert to an earlier version of gawk. I read the earlier posts, but
did not revert this program downward.

Jim