yumming up down to for loop

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Sep 6 23:56:28 UTC 2004

> I used a number of exclusions and other tricks to do an update.  All
> failed with various problems involving xorg-x11 stuff (fonts)
> And ended with errors.

> The for loop is a hack yes.  Should not be necessary yes...
> But I got updated that way when other (more normal) attempts
> failed.  I bailed myself out that way in the past too.  Using yum and
> up2date.  Seems like cutting down the scale helps either app do its
> job.

it's not the scale. The problems are still there, you're just seeing the
problems in specific packages.

> Somehow it involved 18 packages to update it since it involved a
> number of obsoletes etc.
>
>  `yum --obsoletes xorg-x11-font-utils' worked as expected

umm 'yum --obsoletes somepkgname' shouldn't do ANYTHING. There's no
command in there.

yum [--options] command [arguments]

> Prior to updating 99% of what needed it with my for loop
>  `yum --obsoletes update'
> would fail.  Even with various excludes I've lost track of now.

I'd like to remind everyone the PURPOSE of a test release is to get
tests and bugs.

If you encounter a problem like this it is either:
- a packaging bug
- a bug in yum
- a bug in rpm

If you don't file them we can't find them.

-sv