xmms segfault - fonts -or arts again?

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 7 01:27:08 UTC 2004

Scott Talbot wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> 	I'm having a few minor glitches in my fresh install of FC3t1.  The
> first is that xmms refuses to run.  It worked fine in my original
> install, and in FC2, of course.  I didn't test it prior to installing
> the 100's of updates, but have tried installing the package from the
> install cd.
>
> Ran strace xmms and sys replied:
>
> <snip>
> open("/usr/share/locale/en.utf8/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1
> ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> open("/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/xmms.mo", O_RDONLY) = 7
> fstat64(7, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=66056, ...}) = 0
> mmap2(NULL, 66056, PROT_READ, MAP_PRIVATE, 7, 0) = 0xf6dd0000
> close(7)                                = 0
> fstat64(1, {st_mode=S_IFCHR|0620, st_rdev=makedev(136, 1), ...}) = 0
> mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1,
> 0) = 0xf6dcf000
> write(1, "\n", 1
> )                       = 1
> write(1, "Segmentation fault\n", 19Segmentation fault
> )    = 19
> write(1, "\n", 1
> )                       = 1
> write(1, "You\'ve probably found a bug in X"..., 50You've probably found
> a bug in XMMS, please visit
> ) = 50
> write(1, "http://bugs.xmms.org and fill ou"..., 48http://bugs.xmms.org
> and fill out a bug report.
> ) = 48
> write(1, "\n", 1
> )                       = 1
> munmap(0xf6dcf000, 4096)                = 0
> exit_group(1)                           = ?
>
> Now I don't know nearly enough about what this is saying, but I did
> verify that xmms.mo does exist in the last directory tried and is the
> right size, has the right permissions etc. I am left with the
> possibility that the problem is that st_rdev=makedev() might be
> failing??  is this an incompatibility with udev, or am I just jumping to
> conclusions.  So I figure I can't be alone in seeing this, right??
>
> 	Anyway it looks like it'll need a rebuild or something a little more
> involved than my current level of sophistication permits.  Any help?
>
> Scott

I am getting the same errors after installing xmms onto FC3T2 candidate.
The solution to overriding the problem is to get an .xmms file from a
The last time this error happened, it was related to arts. I'm not sure
if this is a resurfacing of the older bug.

I don't have KDE installed on this test session. Is KDE installed on
your computer?

Anyway, this looks like it might be font related.

xmms

** WARNING **: Failed to open font: "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-10-*".

is the error that I get on the terminal w/ this particular candidate.

xmms-1.2.10-6
arts-1.3.0-1

Go ahead and submit a bug report. I see it here also.

Jim