The MySQL question.

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Sep 10 03:19:10 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> said:
> MySQL changed the license a wee bit, it now clashes with the GPL, so
> the new stuff isn't being considered free enough to distribute by any
> of the linux players with legal staff to advise them.

Bzzt - MySQL changed the _library_ license _to_ the GPL (the server was
already under the GPL, while the library was under the LGPL).

The problem with that is that some of the things that link against the
library are under licenses that are not GPL compatible (like PHP), so
with the newer versions of MySQL, you end up building something that
can't be distributed.

There has been talk of changing the MySQL client library license again,
so that this would be resolved, but they haven't actually shipped any
code under such a modified license (at least last time I looked).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>