The MySQL question.

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Sep 10 21:50:59 UTC 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 07:23, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> - MySQL has a fine grained access control

How fine do you need?  Checked out what you can do with pg_hba.conf lately?
What sort of fine-grained control do you need?  You might be surprized at
what you can do now.

> - PostgreSQL requires regular maintenance (VACUUM)

Try pg_autovacuum, included in the tarball.  All databases need regular
maintenance if you care about your data.

> - PostgrSQL fail to use the index for a simple 'SELECT MAX(column)'

Really?  Got any EXPLAIN output to prove that?

> - PostgreSQL needs a complete dump restore for at least every minor
>   version upgrade

Wrong.  PostgreSQL needs a dump restore for a major version upgrade.  Major is
like 7.2 to 7.3.  PostgreSQL's versioning is more like the Linux kernel than
other packages in versioning.  Even then, the Slony replication engine allows
you to replicate to a newer version and keep both up and running
concurrently.

But how do you convert from MyISAM to InnoDB tables under MySQL?    What about
major upgrades in Oracle?  The upgrade issue is a straw man, in reality.
Yes, it is an issue.  It is not a deal-breaking issue.

None of these issues are deal-breakers.

However, the issues MySQL has with data integrity are deal breakers for me.
MySQL, as long as the developers don't deal with the serious data-corrupting
issues (such as not throwing an error when numerics overflow), will never be
enterprise-class.  It could be, but it's going to require an enterprise-ready
attitude from its developers.  For low-requiremet stuff like websites, MySQL
is fine.  But speed isn't a big difference any more (using InnoDB tables so
that apples are compared to apples); features are nowhere near as complete as
with PostgreSQL; type, operator, function, and language extensibility is not
there (contrasted with the ability to embed functions in Java, R, Perl,
Python, Tcl, and a dialect of something similar to Oracle's pl/SQL; the
ability to create new language PL's; the ability to create whole new
operators and data types; and the list goes on.  MySQL does not yet have this
flexibility; see for instance the PostGIS project that does Geographic
Information Systems work at the high end.

And PostgreSQL is not owned by or sponsored by any one company; nor is it an
issue to embed PostgreSQL in a commercial product.

Yes, I am biased.  See my references to understand why.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology