The MySQL question.

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Sat Sep 11 00:00:25 UTC 2004

On Fre, 2004-09-10 at 17:50 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > - MySQL has a fine grained access control
>
> How fine do you need?  Checked out what you can do with pg_hba.conf lately?
> What sort of fine-grained control do you need?  You might be surprized at
> what you can do now.

No, but I doubt that you can restrict a user to read-only access of
single column.

> > - PostgrSQL fail to use the index for a simple 'SELECT MAX(column)'
>
> Really?  Got any EXPLAIN output to prove that?

Fortunately I have no access to PostgreSQL any more but I have seen an
EXPLAIN output proving this; Besides it is on the PostgreSQL developers
todo list for a long time: http://developer.postgresql.org/todo.php

> > - PostgreSQL needs a complete dump restore for at least every minor
> >   version upgrade
>
> Wrong.  PostgreSQL needs a dump restore for a major version upgrade.  Major is
> like 7.2 to 7.3.  PostgreSQL's versioning is more like the Linux kernel than
> other packages in versioning.  Even then, the Slony replication engine allows
> you to replicate to a newer version and keep both up and running
> concurrently.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I consider 7 to be the current major
and 4 to be the current minor version. But even when stepping from 7.4.x
to 7.4.2 the PostgreSQL developers recommend a dump/restore cycle.

> And PostgreSQL is not owned by or sponsored by any one company; nor is it an
> issue to embed PostgreSQL in a commercial product.

AFAIK PostgreSQL is licensed as GPL with no exceptions, so it is a
problem for commercial applications.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

There's too much blood in my caffeine system.