The MySQL question.

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sat Sep 11 05:34:54 UTC 2004

On Sep 10, 2004, Thomas Zehetbauer <thomasz at hostmaster.org> wrote:

> On Fre, 2004-09-10 at 17:50 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:

>> And PostgreSQL is not owned by or sponsored by any one company; nor
>> is it an issue to embed PostgreSQL in a commercial product.

> AFAIK PostgreSQL is licensed as GPL with no exceptions, so it is a
> problem for commercial applications.

Even if it was GPL, it wouldn't be a problem for commercial
applications.  It might be for proprietary applications, but we all
know a requirement for software to be considered FOSS is that you can
make commercial use, and you can commercialize it.

And, heck, IANAL, but I understand that, if your application would not
be regarded as a derived work of a GPLed database, you could still
make it proprietary, and you could still bundle the database with your
application, since the GNU GPL doesn't prohibit this.