Crazy question regarding refresh and X

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sat Sep 11 21:39:03 UTC 2004

On Saturday 11 September 2004 16:24, Jim Cornette wrote:
> I am puzzled why I have a system that is upgraded from an
> installation dated jan 2004 and X not having the refresh problem
> exhibited on the freshly installed system.

Jim,

I note that one has default depth=24 and the other default depth=16.
On my laptop when I have the gnome properties for the
display="millions of colors" which I'm guessing is GUI-speak for 24
bit depth my i815 will not go into Direct Rendering Mode ("glxinfo"
shows "DRI=no") but when it's set to display="thousands of colors"
(16 bit depth) "glxinfo" shows that "DRI=yes".  Since your
configurations are different default depths, is one going into DRI
and the other not and hence giving you different symptoms?

Regards, Mike Klinke