ODD NVIDIA GUI booting problem.

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Mon Sep 13 13:31:06 UTC 2004

Jim Martin wrote:

> Greatings,
>
> I am running Fedora Core 3 T1 with Kernel 2.6.8-1.541, I have a nVidia
> 5200 video card, and am using NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-6111 drivers, I did
> reinstsall the drivers for the new kernel as always, and my xorg.conf
> as also been edited as needed for teh new driver.
>
> however ever since I updated to 2.6.8-1.541 I have been having an odd
> problem booting, If I try to boot at run level 5 (GUI) it cannot find
> the screens and errors out. if I run init 3, reinstall the drivers,
> then run init 5 I can run and log in as always. it seems like
> somethings gets lost during reboot or shut down, and I cannot figure
> out what.  This error did not happen before .541
>
> All I get from the log file is that no screens were found. Anyone else
> having this problem?
>
> Thank you.
>
> BaVinic

I believe I'm seeing this too, but my system is at home so I can't
retest immediately.

My theory is that the NVIDIA installation script is writing something
into /dev which is no longer
persistent across boots.    I'm fairly sure it was a recent udev change
that introduced the bug, not kernel-2.6.8-1.541.

John