ODD NVIDIA GUI booting problem.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 13:42:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:17:57 -0400, Jim Martin <bavinic at comcast.net> wrote:
>  however ever since I updated to 2.6.8-1.541 I have been having an odd
> problem booting, If I try to boot at run level 5 (GUI) it cannot find
> the screens and errors out. if I run init 3, reinstall the drivers, then
> run init 5 I can run and log in as always. it seems like somethings gets
> lost during reboot or shut down, and I cannot figure out what.  This
> error did not happen before .541
>
> All I get from the log file is that no screens were found. Anyone else
> having this problem?

The 541 kernel has some sort of issue with modprobing kernel drivers.
Its not just the nvidia driver. My 541 kernel doesn't correctly
modprobe the sg driver either, which my scanner needs.  But if i
manually modprobe the missing drivers things work.

So instead of reinstalling the driver... just do this from the console as root.
modprobe nvidia; init 3; init 5; exit

Or add a modprobe nvidia statement in rc.local as a workaround.

-jef