Obtaining 2.6.8-1.541 source code

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 14 08:47:53 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 07:42, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>>Some background - I'm running FC3-test on an Asus M6BN laptop. This
>>means the only option to get my modem
>

> are you sure? what's the pci id of the modem, does the snd-intel8x0m
> driver recognize it?

It's a lovely Conexant soft modem, which as far as I know snd-intel8x0m
can't support because the codec is proprietary (certainly, FC3-test1
didn't even think I *had* a modem, until after I installed the linuxant
driver)

> if so you can use it natively in linux without evil
> binary kernel modules

Heck, I'm using a Windows driver binary to talk to the builtin wireless
interface. The linuxant drivers are the least of my worries ;)

As I see it, Linuxant are doing me a favour by letting me use the OS of
my choice on the hardware of my choice, despite the recalcitrance of a
couple of hardware vendors (well, just Intel actually, since they make
both the modem and the wireless hardware).

Cheers,
Nick.